Pages

Justine's books

Last Sacrifice
My Soul to Take
My Soul to Save
My Soul to Keep
My Soul to Steal
Wings
Spells
Illusions
Sing Me to Sleep
Girl Stays in the Picture
The Eternal Ones
Beastly
Ash
Huntress
Secret Society
The Trust
Ascendant
Rampant
0.4
Fairy Tale


Justine's favorite books »

Sunday 6 April 2014

Review #236: Out of the Easy- Ruta Sepetys

Title: Out of the Easy
Author: Ruta Sepetys
Pages: 346
Format: Hardback
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary: It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 

She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.
Review: I saw this book being offered as a Travelling Book and I just knew that I needed to sign up and read it. Out of the Easy was unlike any other book I have ever read. It's historical, it's YA but it reads like an adult novel. I loved that the characters were relatable and the writer knew how to make their emotions shine through. I was in tears at the end, but the ending was also happy. I also liked that that it was kind of a murder mystery but set around a coming of age story. 
I loved all of these characters, I loved hearing each of their individual stories. I was interested in everyone's backstory and now that the book is over I find myself asking where the characters are now. Josie was an amazing female character, she is smart and strong, she knows what she wants and didn't give up until she got it. 
This story is just so different from anything I have read and it was a breath of fresh air. I want more from Ruta Sepetys. I would recommend this to contemporary lovers looking for something a bit different.


About this author

Ruta Sepetys was born and raised in Michigan in a family of artists, readers, and music lovers. Her award-winning debut novel, "Between Shades of Gray" was inspired by her family's history in Lithuania and is published in 40 countries. Her new novel, "Out of the Easy" is set in the French Quarter of New Orleans in 1950. A historical tale of secrets and lies, "Out of the Easy" is a haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny. Ruta lives with her family in Tennessee.

To read about Ruta's latest escapades, visit her website www.rutasepetys.com 
Also visit www.betweenshadesofgray.com


No comments:

Post a Comment