Pages

Justine's books

Last Sacrifice
My Soul to Take
My Soul to Save
My Soul to Keep
My Soul to Steal
Wings
Spells
Illusions
Sing Me to Sleep
Girl Stays in the Picture
The Eternal Ones
Beastly
Ash
Huntress
Secret Society
The Trust
Ascendant
Rampant
0.4
Fairy Tale


Justine's favorite books »

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Review #160: Riverbend- Andrea Goodson


Summary: Nestled deep in Northwest Pennsylvania, amongst the thick forest of the Allegheny Mountains, is a quiet community named Kennerdell. The area is rich in Native American and European settlement history with few inhabitants and a charming culture. Growing up there was simple for 22 year old Lena Woodruff, full of happy memories and long, playful summer days spent by the nearby Allegheny River. Being the daughter of an Archaeology Professor, she was enamored with the beauty, peace, and history that surrounded her. Lena could have grown up to be an average, well-adjusted woman. But there has been a darkness within her for the past seven years, since her father’s tragic death. After managing to escape far away to Thomasville, Georgia for the past two years, Lena is forced to return home to visit her family. Upon her arrival, Lena had hoped to come clean to her mother, have a short visit and return to her secluded life, apart from her family, in Georgia. However, she is greeted by much more than she expects. She is haunted by the memories of her father's death as well as her self-destructive behavior in the years following. She struggles with guilt and regret for the pain she feels she has caused her family and loved ones. Her mother is loving and supportive and, although Lena appreciates those qualities, the pressure of living up to a standard and the recollections of her previous life prove unsettling and are too much for her to bear. Lena is quickly thrown into a web of mystery, inner conflict, grief, self-worth, love, and trust. Riverbend, book one in the three part series, exposes the beginning of a shocking mystery for Lena that could ultimately change written history. She teams up with one of her neighbors, longtime friend Will Sundback, and they begin an adventure together. But someone else is lurking about, following Lena, and keeping tabs on her every move. Who is this person and what do they know? Will Lena be able to allow herself happiness, solve the mystery surrounding her father’s work, and be able to free herself from the pain that plagues her?
Title: Riverbend
Author: Andrea Goodson
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Review: Riverbend was week 11's read in the Sweet Sixteen Summer Splash Reading Challenge.
I initially had a hard time getting into this book. I felt like the beginning of the book had a lot of information to give the reader but it could have happened in a more exciting way. I enjoyed the historical aspects I. The novel and I found them to be very informative. This book was very short and because of the slow start I had spent more time on it then I had wanted.
The characters are good. I feel like one character in particular was very predictable and I think I already know what will happen in the future and possibly what happened to Lena's father. I would like to know more about Lena and Will's budding relationship.
I will probably read the next book in the series to see if my prediction is indeed correct. Also I want to find out if Lena does find love and if she finds what she is searching for. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy mysteries and reading about historical events.


No comments:

Post a Comment