Pages

Justine's books

Last Sacrifice
My Soul to Take
My Soul to Save
My Soul to Keep
My Soul to Steal
Wings
Spells
Illusions
Sing Me to Sleep
Girl Stays in the Picture
The Eternal Ones
Beastly
Ash
Huntress
Secret Society
The Trust
Ascendant
Rampant
0.4
Fairy Tale


Justine's favorite books »

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Review #172: Cornerstones- Kelly Walker


Summary: Emariya's life was nearly over before it started. Hidden under the floorboards while her mother died above her, she escaped a brutal death then—only to go racing toward it now, sixteen years later.

After learning her father has been captured, Emariya is desperate to save him, no matter who she has to turn to for help. Oblivious to her potential gifts and the secrets surrounding her dual heritage, Emariya makes a bargain with the prince of a rival land, Torian Ahlen. In exchange for her hand in marriage, he agrees to send his forces to rescue her father. With the arrangements made, Emariya embarks on a tumultuous journey through two kingdoms as different from each other as the families that rule them.

Before long, Emariya comes face to face with her mother's killers, and learns of an ominous prophecy: her and Torian's bloodlines must never be combined. Armed with this frightening new knowledge, Emariya begins to fear the handsome prince may desire more than to steal her heart, and it will take all of her newfound skills to survive.
Title: Cornerstones
Author: Kelly Walker
Pages: 334
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Review: I got this book free off if amazon awhile ago, basically because I loved the cover so much. It had me entranced from the moment I first saw it. It has taken me awhile but I finally got to it. Fanatics aren't my favourite read but when the are done right I really enjoy them. Cornerstones was okay. I found the beginning very slow. But once the story began to pick up I started to enjoy the read. I liked the adventure and the danger that accompanied this quest.i also enjoyed the twists and turns that the author Kelly Walker kept throwing our way. But I did find that there were some unanswered questions. The biggest for me was her brother a stone? Hopefully in book two we find out. By the end I was excited to begin the second book.
Emariya is quite the character. She is rebellious to a point, she is brave, loyal and a good friend. Basically all around a good person. The only thing that bothered me was she didn't always like to listen to others (Jessa for example) and it did get her into a few jams. I liked how for most of the novel Torian is made out to be this bad guy, but when you actually meet him, he is the opposite. I enjoyed most of the characters and hopefully most if the re- appear in book two.
Even though cornerstones started off slow for me it did eventually pick up and I did like it. I would recommend this book to those who really love fantasy reads. I'm very excited for book two and I will be starting it shortly.



About this author
Kelly Walker is a YA and NA author of several romantic titles, including the Souls of the Stones series. She has an unhealthy appreciation for chocolate, and a soft spot for rescued animals. Her best lessons on writing came from a lifetime of reading. She loves the fantastical, and the magical, and believes a captivating romance can be the most realistic magic of all. Kelly, her husband and her two children share their Virginia home with three dogs who walk her, and two cats who permit her to occasionally share their couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment