Pages

Justine's books

Last Sacrifice
My Soul to Take
My Soul to Save
My Soul to Keep
My Soul to Steal
Wings
Spells
Illusions
Sing Me to Sleep
Girl Stays in the Picture
The Eternal Ones
Beastly
Ash
Huntress
Secret Society
The Trust
Ascendant
Rampant
0.4
Fairy Tale


Justine's favorite books »

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Review #307and #308: Breaking Lauren and Losing Lauren- Jordan Deen

Title: Breaking Lauren
Author: Jordan Deen
Series: Lauren #1
Pages: 234
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary: Seventeen-year-old Danny Cummings' life is far from a fairytale, but that's okay since he doesn't believe in happy endings. After spending a year in juvenile hall for maliciously beating his sister's boyfriend, Danny embraces his badass image. Spending most nights drinking, fighting and collecting gambling debts for his Uncle, Danny's life is out of control. His addiction to the bad boy lifestyle won't let him do anything about it, even with his family begging him to go straight. But, when fifteen-year-old Lauren McIntosh stumbles into one of his nightly escapades, the self-proclaimed anti-romantic can't concentrate on anything except Lauren and the fact that she's on the same path his sister was on. Danny knows true love happening for the villain is as common as gamblers paying their debt on time, but he's never backed away from a challenge before and he hates the idea that history will repeat itself. Growing old with the man she loves-in the small town where she was born-is the only dream Lauren McIntosh has ever had; that is until her family is practically run out of town amidst rumors of arson and adultery. So, when she meets Danny at her new school and hears the rumors about his activities from her new friends, she wants nothing to do with him or the gossip that seems to follow Danny everywhere. After a dangerous and ill-fated attempt at sneaking out, she develops unwelcomed feelings for Danny that he seems to reciprocate. But, Danny's unrelenting pursuit makes Lauren nervous, especially since he's the only one that wants to know the secrets surrounding her family's move. Lauren can't tell if Danny's intentions are true or if he has other plans for their newfound and unlikely friendship. The only way to figure out is to let him in and that could destroy everything, including the popularity and social acceptance she desperately seeks.
Review: I grabbed this book and a few others by this author at UtopYA 2014 Book convention held in Nashville and I'm so glad that I did. This is a young adult contemporary novel that deals with a ton of difficult issues and a lot of them are on the darker side. This story was a bit bipolar; it was cute and fluffy but also raw and full of angst, but in an excellent way. I flew through it. That ending though.
I'm in love with Danny, but I mean who wouldn't be? He isn't even the bad guy that he is perceived as, I feel like he did something that any brother would do for their sister. I love Sara and Jess, they are both awesome and caring people. Lauren is a different story, I kind of wanted to smack her to smarten her up. Josh had her so brainwashed and I am waiting for it to explodeAlso Lauren's mom was kind of confusing, so we will see about her.
Breaking Lauren was a quick and awesome read that I will be picking up the second book ASAP because of it. I would recommend this novel to anyone looking for a darker young adult contemporary read.


Title: Losing Lauren
Author: Jordan Deen
Series: Lauren #2
Pages: 246
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary: Dealing with the ill-fated decision to go to Lauren’s birthday party and finally deciding to let her go has been harder than Danny Cummings ever thought it could be. Faced with his final year at Mountain View High, Danny is struggling with what he should do versus what he wants to do; although doing the right thing has never been Danny’s strong suit. The idea that Josh has stolen another girl from his life has Danny more than ready to jump back into the fray and worry about the consequences later.
Lauren thought her life had ended the night of her sixteenth birthday party when the world came crashing down around her resulting in the ultimate battle between Josh and Danny. Trying to refocus on school and her goals is all she wants for her junior year of high school. But the fact is, tempting memories of Danny make it hard for her to make the right choice.
The initial battle for Lauren’s affections is over; but the battle is really just beginning.
Review: This was another book that I grabbed at UtopYa 2014 from author Jordan Deen. Losing Lauren was just as good as the first book in the series, if not better. It did leave me with a few unanswered questions, which I won't say anything because I don't want to spoil the story. I will say that I made the author aware of my wants lol so we will see what will happen next.
Losing Lauren wasn't as violent as the first, but it was just as eventful and entertaining. I would recommend this to those who loved book one and I would recommend this series to contemporary lovers.




About this author

I'm really outgoing and get teased (a lot) for my knack to make friends anywhere including, but not limited to: the bank, the store, the bathroom, the movies... you get the idea. 
A few of my fave things are my son, my yorkie, cupcakes, wine, coffee and (of course) tattoo'd boys. 
I'm available on Twitter, Facebook and of course, here on Good Reads.

Go Team #WolfPack!

No comments:

Post a Comment